An innovative, anti-aging range of products that I have used in my skincare rotation since it first launched in 2011 is Algenist. I’ve been a fan of their Anti-aging eye cream and I was lucky to receive The Best of Algenist Collection* recently. This collection offers a comprehensive ritual of anti-aging treatments which have been formulated with their star patented ingredient: Alguronic Acid and/or Microalgae Oil. I have been putting the items to the test for the past two weeks now and I have some first thoughts and impressions to share with you today.
Before I begin, however, I’d like to share the story behind the brand. As the story goes, a group of biotechnology scientists from San Francisco were researching microalgae for renewable energy solutions when they unexpectedly discovered Alguronic Acid, a powerful compound responsible for regenerating and protecting the microalgae cell. Figuring that they were onto something, they successfully isolated and extracted Microalgae Oil, and Algenist was born.
The Best of Algenist Collection contains four of Algenist’s best selling anti-aging treatments. You can buy the set which is priced at $120, a $175 value, or buy the items individually.
* Gentle Rejuvenating Cleanser $25 (1.5 fl oz) is a gentle lathering facial wash that gently cleanses the skin and removes impurites, including makeup. It contains their patented ingredient, Alguronic Acid as well as Oat Amino Acids and Witch Hazel to help condition and soften the skin.
* Genius Ultimate Anti-Aging Eye Cream $75 (1 fl oz) This luxurious anti-aging eye cream also contains Algenist’s patented ingredient as well as a plant-based collagen, to help restore skin resiliency and elasticity. It is designed to visibly strengthen the fragile eye area and reduce wrinkles, fine lines, and increase luminosity.
* Advanced Anti-Aging Reparing Oil, $79 (1 fl oz) This repairing oil is harnessed from a strain of microalgae and combines the performance of a serum with the unique experience of an oil. It is recommended to warm 2-3 drops of the oil between hands before pressing it onto the face. It is designed to help soften and smooth skin texture, while leaving skin more supple and radiant.
* Firming and Lifting Cream, $94 (2fl oz) This cream is formulated with a unique combination of patented Alguronic Acid and ProPeptide3, and is designed to help visibly tighten, tone and lift facial contours to give a more sculpted appearance.
MY FIRST IMPRESSIONS
* Gentle Rejuvenating Cleanser– I found that it was very gentle on my skin and effectively removed all my makeup, without stripping my skin dry. My skin feels immediately clean, smooth and refreshed after using it. I have used it for the past two weeks both day and night in addition to also pairing it with my Clarisonic and the results have been consistent–clean, smooth, refreshed skin.
* Genius Ultimate Anti-Aging Eye Cream–I have gone through an entire jar of this from a previous purchase and I can attest to the performance of this eye cream. It has a very cool whipped texture, and absorbs nicely onto my skin. I pat it all over with my ring finger and it I feel that it does help to firm the delicate eye area. I am now in my early thirties and I have been concerned about developing crows feet. The first signs of aging appear in the delicate eye area so I am very diligent about treating my under eye area religiously. I am happy to say that I currently do not have any crows feet and will continue to use this eye cream. When I wake up, I have found that my under eye area feels visibly smooth and refreshed. It also works well after using concealer on top. It absorbs into my skin nicely and does not make my concealer application slide or skip.
* Advanced Anti-Aging Reparing Oil–I am typically not a fan of oils, at least for my face, because I can’t help but think it will make my skin feel extremely greasy. However, this oil does not feel greasy whatsoever and is fast absorbing. I have only used it for the past two weeks, and though it’s too early to tell if it has helped to turn back the clock, my first impression is that my skin does look and feel more radiant and smooth, my skin feels nourished and hydrated throughout the day. It also does not interfere with the application of makeup afterwards in the AM, which is another plus.
* Firming and Lifting Cream–I’d first like to say that I have used this particular cream in the past. I’ve found this to be a wonderful cream to use both day and night. It is creamy and whipped, yet feels really lightweight. I feel that it works well with the foundations I’ve used. I have quite the rotation going depending on the finish and coverage I want to achieve for the day. It helps to smooth and hydrate my skin and sets very nicely once absorbed. It does help to provide a more youthful appearance and I am happy with its overall performance.
The Algenist brand is a brand that I would recommend for those of you trying to target various skincare concerns, specifically, the very first signs of aging like I am. January is typically the month where brands and retailers will emphasize and highlight skincare products, as evidenced by Sephora’s annual 2x bonus points on all skincare purchases until the 18th of January. If you are considering purchasing some new skincare items for the new year, some important questions that you can ask yourself is what am I currently using, and why am I using it? What results do I want to achieve? Considering these questions can help you to narrow down your focus. For a list of the 10 most common ingredients found in skincare, you can view it in a previous post, here. Keep in mind that what may work for me, may not work for you. It’s important to find what works and stick with it.
I am happy to say that after testing the collection for the past two weeks, I think it will be something that I will use to the end. My skin overall does feel more noticeably soft, smooth and more well rested. The winter weather tends to make my skin feel more dry and I have reaped the benefits from its hydrating properties. Have you tried anything from the Algenist brand before? What are some skincare staples you are currently using?
Thank you for stopping by today. These items are currently available on their website www.algenist.com and at Sephora.
*This post featured some products that were kindly provided for my consideration. Regardless, all opinions expressed here are my own honest, unbiased views.
FIND ME HERE: INSTAGRAM. FACEBOOK. BLOGLOVIN. TWITTER